As we are all aware of the moral obligation to drink responsibly for the obvious reasons of safety to ourselves and others, it should also include the environment. We rarely think of what impact do wineries and companies have on their ecosystem and community from their day-to-day operations. Have you ever thought, as you’re sipping your favorite wine, if that winery is being environmentally responsible in their practices? If not, then we definitely need to begin thinking this way. You would think that a winery being an agricultural operation would be environmentally responsible by default. But there is always that but! Here are some questions to always keep in mind when thinking about environmentally responsible practices for wineries:
- Are they using clean and renewable energy?
- Are they using glass for their bottles?
- Are their labels from recycled paper? Is there plastic in their labels?
- What type of glue are they using for their label?
- What type of corks are they using? If they are using natural corks, are they contributing to replanting cork trees?
- What type of barrels are they using? New oak, old oak? Do they contribute to replanting oak trees?
- Is their supply chain green? Short circuit distribution or large distribution
- Farm to table movement?
- Do they use recycled cardboard? Regular cardboard? Wooden box? Is the wooden box chemically treated?
- Do they recycle their leftover wine must to other operations to convert into a different product?
- Is their machinery updated and efficient?
- Is their pay rate to their staff more than reasonable?
- Do they offer jobs to locals in their community?
- What is the ratio of their operation manual vs. automated?
- Do they purchase supplies and materials from local vendors?
These are just some questions that come to mind when I think of being environmentally responsible from a winery standpoint. I truly believe when you are aware of the wineries that make efforts to operate environmentally responsible, the better you will feel about the wine you are drinking. Here are some wines from our collection that are produced from environmentally sustainable practices. We highly recommend you try these, and we believe you will feel better about the wine and yourself from the first sip.